CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, May 29, 2010

My Not So Green Thumb

This summer we thought we would try our hand at a small garden.
We have 2 tomato plants, 2 strawberry plants, 2 pepper plants, a row of peas, 2 rows of lettuce and 2 rows of spinach. I am not known for being very successful with plants, so needless to say, I was absolutely thrilled when things started to sprout and bloom. Now I did buy the tomato, strawberry and pepper plants already started but the others we planted from seed.

So far we have harvested 2 small strawberries and a few little lettuce leaves and a very pretty jalapeno pepper is just about ready for the picking.

Today I was out there pulling weeds and showed Ristow that his third strawberry was just about ripe. He was very excited, and since we only have one producing plant right now, it was a big deal to have another berry on it. Well I was being ever so careful pulling weeds from the lettuce that I stepped back and squashed the lone strawberry. Booooo. Ristow was not too thrilled with me for that. And we noticed that someone or something had broken one of the pepper plants. Man, things are going downhill fast.

We will keep tending the garden with our limited knowledge and skill and hopefully get a chance to eat some of the rewards. It definitely has been a fun experience though, and maybe next year we will actually have enough for a whole salad ;)

0 comments: